Monday, October 12, 2009

Shaving the Seat

I dropped my motorcycle infront of my friends and cousins after a horrible lost during the University of Hawaii Warriors versus Fresno State University Bulldogs football game at Aloha Stadium; albiet, the tailgating was hella fun! The problem was my low speed skills on a much taller bike combined with a small grade and my inexperience with the location of the pegs on a standard motorcycle (directly below, hence, It got in the way). Due to this embarrasing situation (no major damage), I decided I need to lower the motorcycle alittle due to me searching for a proper footing with my lack of skills of manuevering a much taller and heavier motorcycle than my very forgiving 2003 Yamaha Virago.

101209p-2003 Suzuki SV650 Gelseat Shaving (5)
flickr shaving gelseat photo set

I shaved the seats by removing the foam from the base vice from the top portion of the foam. This allowed me to retain the relatively smooth shape of the seat. I simply followed various instructions from various websites. Overall, I felt I'm 1.5" closer to the ground. Tools required was the 12mm(?) and 10mm(?) allen wrench to remove the seat and covers, respectively, a power staple gun with T50 1/4" staples and adhesive (3M general adhesive).

Very easy modification and quite forgiving. By the way, I'm a vertically challenged individual and I wanted more confident, eventhough I been riding almost daily for 3 years with very small beginner's cruiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment